Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Last Supper

Wow, it's been 13 days since my last greasy and nasty fast food meal.  I had already been dabbling in the Plant Strong way of life for a few weeks, but knew that the following morning, I was going to go full-force and start taking care of myself.  So, of course, what do most people do when they start a "Monday Morning Diet"???  Eat CRAP on Sunday!!!!  AKA...The Last Supper Binge!

I hid myself in my car, sitting in the parking lot eating that greasy bacon cheeseburger and cheese fries, thinking I "deserved" it because I had just burned so many calories on my bike ride. Even with a meal as unhealthy as that, I was going to be under my calorie goal for the day so, I was "okay" with splurging on the grease and nastiness...see, even I am the Queen of Justification! 

I will admit, it smelled like heaven.  It tasted okay.  But, you know what doesn't taste good? REGRET SHAME.GUILT.  I knew what I was doing was horrible for me.  I knew what I was doing was not going to feed or repair my body. But, I gobbled it up like a good little former fat girl and threw away all of the evidence.  **NOTE TO SELF...when you have to "hide" your food evidence from your spouse because of your own shame, it's probably a great indicator that you shouldn't be eating it!**

I think I got about 5 miles before I started burping up the grease, the fat, the salt, the yuckiness.  I seriously contemplated pulling into the gas station and making myself vomit up the poison.  And for those of you who know me well, know that I battled with bulimia for years, so this was a huge trigger for me and solidified that what I had done was REALLY REALLY STUPID!!!  But, I didn't.  I made myself sit with my miserable secret and let it be a reminder of how much that "reward meal" really SUCKED! By the way, having to hide the fact that you just ate like a college kid on a midnight binge really stinks!

Since that meal, I have been eating Plant Strong!  I love it! 13 days in and I feel absolutely wonderful!  I automatically eat less calories, but have so much more energy than before!  And, I ate what I would consider fairly healthy (except for the occasional "I deserve it" meals...ugh!)  I love coming up with my own recipes, using fresh, healthy ingredients.  I love seeing all of the color on my plate.  It's just fun!  (I know...NERD!)

In the past, I have been a vegetarian.  Actually, was for quite some time.  But, there is a HUGE difference between being a vegetarian and being PLANT STRONG!  There are tons of vegetarian and even vegan junk food choices out there that will do absolutely NOTHING to help you be strong and your physical, emotional and mental best.  This time, I plan to do it the RIGHT way.

I have been asked what foods I am allowing myself to eat.  Right now, I am "transitioning" over to hopefully, eventually, a vegan diet.  Remember, that my whole health philosophy is Good, Better, Best.  Right now, I am in the Better category.  I KNOW for a fact that if I went full-fledged vegan right now, I would fail.  Years of experience with my personality has taught me this.  HA!  So, for now, I am allowing myself dairy (which basically for me means a little cheese..like on pizza, in a salad..because I forgot to ask them not to put it on... or in soup), eggs and salmon.  I also use whey protein (not vegan, fyi...)  for my protein shakes, but will eventually be moving to a vegan one...when these bulk bags run out!

Nutrition, just like exercise, is a very personal decision.  Every one's journey is different.  Every one's decision, their own.  I always say thank goodness there are so many options out there for exercise.  The same is true for nutrition.

Over the last year, I have been watching documentaries, reading articles, perusing websites and facebook pages. I consulted a wonderful chiropractor/nutrition guru and also a plant strong wonder woman who are helping me learn and steer my way through this process. I have been learning about nutrition and what each vitamin/nutrient does for you.  I have only began to learn and cannot wait to learn even more.

Do your own research, or ask a trusted nutrition-focused professional who actually looks and lives the way you want to, for help. Try new ways of eating.  Learn what makes your body look, work and feel it's best.  For me, I think I have finally found it!  I am excited to be on my way to MY personal best.  I can't wait to see what happens.  

Join me!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment